CONGRATULATIONS to all the Challengers on our first six Charity Challenges of 2011, biking from Guatemala to Honduras, the inaugural Nicaragua Volcano Challenge, Brazil's Chapada Diamantina Challenge , Guatemala's first Caribbean Kayak Challenge, Perú´s Cerani Pass and Ecuador's Volcano Challenge. Nicaragua's second volcano Challenge is set for 3rd-6th November and the third Guatemala Volcano Challenge dates are set for 27th November -2nd December.

Click on the following for our most recent official project reports for Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, Ecuador, Perú and Brazil.

Friday, January 2, 2009

Scholarships in Itzapa - Guatemala

As part of our teaching program, GVI Phoenix, with the help of the GVI Charitable Trust, pays for all our children to go to national school each year, so the children can receive formal certificates from the schools. Our free project ensures they receive a good education - see the blog entry on "Quantifying volunteer teaching".

On Monday, we handed out the scholarships to 141 mothers of the children at our school in Itzapa, a total of 325 children, including 35 for secondary school and 7 for college. These children would never have had this chance if it weren't for the project. The money goes towards the national school inscription fee and maintenance, utensils and "extra" costs a parent is charged for educating their child in national school.

To put this in perspective, only 7% of the mothers could sign their name to acknowledge receipt of the money, the other 93% had to leave a thumb print. In years to come, 100% of our future mothers will be able to sign their name.


How does GVI Phoenix make a difference?

The following film was made in Guatemala, though the message is the same across all GVI Phoenix projects